Contact: Andrea VanSwearingen, Production Manager
Administrative: (860) 283-8558
Box Office: (860) 283-6250
Event Dates: Sunday, January 15th 2017 at 6:00pm
Monday, January 16th 2017 at 6:00pm
Thursday, January 19th 2017 at 6:00pm
Location: Arts Center Theatre
(located on Level 2)
Thomaston Opera House
158 Main Street, Thomaston, CT
Dance Call & Call Backs: Saturday, January 21st 2017 at 2:00pm & Sunday, January 22nd 2017 at 5:00pm
Location: Room TBD, Thomaston Opera House, 158 Main St, Thomaston, CT
Landmark Community Theatre holds auditions for HAIRSPRAY at the Thomaston Opera House. LCT will be holding auditions for HAIRSPRAY on January 15, 16 & 19 in the Arts Center Theatre located on Level 2 of the Thomaston Opera House. A dance call and callbacks will be held on January 21st and 22nd. Auditions will be scheduled in 15 minute blocks. Please contact the email or number provided to schedule your appointment. Broadway actress, Marissa Follo Perry, will direct and choreograph the show, with music direction by John Dressel. Not all will be called for the 21st or 22nd, but should make the date available. The show will open on April 29 and run through May 14, 2017 for a total of 8 performances. Rehearsals will begin on Sunday, February 5th and continue to be held on Sunday, Monday, & Wednesday evenings.
Auditioners must bring sheet music with them and be prepared to sing 32 bars (about a minute) of a fully memorized musical theater song showcasing the style and vocal range of the character for which they are auditioning. Songs from HAIRSPRAY are allowed. Additional vocalizing may also be a part of the audition to determine vocal range and harmonizing skills. An accompanist will be provided; no recorded accompaniment is permitted. Dressy audition attire is encouraged.
Dance call & call backs on January 21st and 22nd will be broken up into 1-hour increments, with dancing and reading/singing. The dance call will focus on specific dance numbers from the show. Potential Tracys or Links are expected to dance every call. All auditioners are asked to wear comfortable clothes and bring jazz shoes if they have them. No character shoes please.
Minimum age to audition is 15/16 years old, except Little Inez who is 13-15 years old.
Plot Summary: It's 1962 in Baltimore, and the lovable plus-size teen, Tracy Turnblad, has only one desire – to dance on the popular "Corny Collins Show." When her dream comes true, Tracy is transformed from social outcast to sudden star. She must use her newfound power to dethrone the reigning Teen Queen, win the affections of heartthrob, Link Larkin, and integrate a TV network... all without denting her 'do!
● Tracy Turnblad - Our story's unsuspecting protagonist, she is large and in charge. Confident, talented, and incredibly determined. A romantic with a good heart and desire to cut up the dance floor. Always on top of the latest trends. Age: 15 to 20, Vocal range top: G5, Vocal range bottom: G3
● Corny Collins - The charismatic host of the Corny Collins' Show. Good looking and smooth talking, he is a genuinely nice guy both on and off camera. Age: 25 to 35, Vocal range top: A4, Vocal range bottom: D3
● Edna Turnblad - Tracy's big and blonde mother. She is a working housewife who has lost her confidence and dream to be a plus-size clothing designer. Boisterous and commanding. Played by a male in drag. Age: 30 to 50, Vocal range top: G5, Vocal range bottom: F3
● Penny Pingleton - Tracy's best friend and dorky sidekick. Not the brightest girl, but she has good intentions. Bursting to get free of her mother's dominating control, she falls for Seaweed with childlike curiosity. Age: 15 to 20, Vocal range top: G5, Vocal range bottom: A3
● Velma Von Tussle - Amber's mother and the director of Corny Collin's show. She is a devious taskmaster and snobby racist. The former Miss Baltimore Crabs will go to any length to ensure her daughter is the next big thing. Age: 45 to 55, Vocal range top: E5, Vocal range bottom: G3
● Amber Von Tussle - Link's girlfriend and Tracy's nemesis. She is pretty, thin, shallow, snobby, and racist. Can't dance but is expected to win Miss Baltimore Hairspray. Always feels the need to be the center of attention. Age: 15 to 20, Vocal range top: F5, Vocal range bottom: A3
● Link Larkin - The star heartthrob on Corny Collins' show. He is extremely attractive and talented. Hoping to get his big break with a recording contract, he unexpectedly falls for Tracy. Age: 15 to 25, Vocal range top: A5, Vocal range bottom: G3
● Seaweed J. Stubbs - Tracy's classmate and friend, who is discriminated against due to his skin color. He is cocky but surprisingly lovable. Talented in song and dance. He falls for Penny. Age: 15 to 20, Vocal range top: D5, Vocal range bottom: F3
● Little Inez
● Motormouth Maybelle - Seaweed and Little Inez's mother, she also appears as the Guest DJ on the Corny Collin's Negro Day show. Big, blonde, beautiful and proud of it. She is sassy and confident. Age: 40 to 50, Vocal range top: E5, Vocal range bottom: F3
● Wilbur Turnblad - Tracy's simpleminded and kind father. He owns a joke shop and supports his daughter in spite of everything else. He also loves his wife, Edna, very much. Age: 55 to 65, Vocal range top: A5, Vocal range bottom: A3
● Prudy Pingleton - Penny's strict mother. Very conservative, controlling, and closed minded. Age: 40 to 50, Vocal range top: B4, Vocal range bottom: D4
Male/Female Ensemble - Corny Collins' Kids (Tammy, Brad, Brenda, Sketch, Shelley, Etc.); Students; Hookers; Protestors