West Side Story
Landmark Community Theatre will be holding auditions for WEST SIDE STORY as part of their Teen Drama Program on Monday, May 22nd and Wednesday, May 24th at the Thomaston Opera House from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Auditions will be on a first come, first served basis. No appointments are required. Auditions will run from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Lucia Green will direct the show with music direction by Christian Winter. The show dates are August 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27 for a total of 6 performances. Rehearsals will begin on Tuesday, June 6th and continue to be held 3-4 times a week. Rehearsal days will be Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings.
This production is part of Landmark’s teen drama program. Those auditioning must be between the ages of 13 and 20 years old. Auditioners should bring a backing track to audition with. No sheet music is required. Songs should be fully memorized. Songs from WEST SIDE STORY will be allowed. Additional vocalizing may also be a part of the audition to determine vocal range and harmonizing skills. All people auditioning should be expected to dance at their audition. Please wear appropriate clothing and shoes you can move in. Headshots and resumes are encouraged but not required.
LCT is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. As such, we encourage performers of all races and ethnicities, gender identities, sexualities, abilities, and ages to attend every audition. To performers with disabilities, you are encouraged to audition. Please indicate if you need special services, assistance, or appropriate modifications to fully participate in this event by contacting Andrea Bingham, Production Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Plot Summary: Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is transported to modern-day New York City as two young, idealistic lovers find themselves caught between warring street gangs, the "American" Jets and the Puerto Rican Sharks. Their struggle to survive in a world of hate, violence and prejudice is one of the most innovative, heart-wrenching and relevant musical dramas of our time. Recently remade by Steven Spielberg in 2021, West Side Story is one of the most memorable musicals and greatest love stories of all time.
• Riff (Caucasian Male) A spritely, quick-tempered leader. He seeks to eliminate the Sharks and establish his own gang's dominance. Tony's best friend, he is eventually murdered by Bernardo. Vocal range top: G4/Vocal range bottom: Bb2
• Tony (Caucasian Male) A romantic young man and former leader of the Jets, he has found a new lifestyle now. Tony finds himself violently torn between his friendships and love. Falls in love to Maria and meets an untimely death. Genuinely sweet and sincere. Vocal range top: Bb4/Vocal range bottom: Bb2
• Bernardo (Hispanic Male) A proud, strong, handsome Puerto Rican man. Bernardo seeks to carve out territory as a sense of identity for he and his friends. Maria's brother and Anita's boyfriend. Leader of the Sharks. Vocal range top: Eb4/Vocal range bottom: Bb2
• Maria (Hispanic Female) A hopeless romantic and innocent young girl. She falls in love with Tony and finds herself at the center of the violent conflict between the two gangs. Bernardo's sister. Puerto Rican. Vocal range top: C6/Vocal range bottom: Bb3
• Anita (Hispanic Female) Feisty and assertive. She dispenses "older sister" advice to Maria and tries to shield her from the dangers of the gangs. Bernardo's girlfriend and Maria's friend. Puerto Rican. Vocal range top: D5/Vocal range bottom: F3
• Chino (Hispanic Male) An angry and, at times, naive Shark who turns murderous and vengeful. Suitor to Maria and friend of Bernardo's.
• Anybodys (Caucasian Person) A spunky tomboy who is desperate to become a member of the Jets. The other Jets mock them for their ambitions, but generally appreciate their company. Full of energy and heart.
• Doc (Older Male) The owner of the candy store where the Jets hang out. He tries to guide the Jets youthful angst and provides a safe haven for Tony. Old fashioned and wise in his ways.
• Schrank (Older Male) A local police detective frustrated by the ongoing violence between the Jets and Sharks. Blunt, brash, and unapologetic.
• Krupke (Caucasian Male) The local beat cop. He has no patience for the gang conflict and tries to keep tensions from erupting between them. Regularly mocked by the local gangs.
• Glad hand (Caucasian Male) Nerdy, overly cheerful, and ill-equipped social director at the school dance (“Mambo”). Speaking role. No dance background.
o Jets Males and Females: Seeking Caucasian actors to play supporting and featured roles in the ensemble. (Diesl, Action, A-Rab, Baby John)
o Sharks Males and Females: Seeking Diverse (non-Caucasian) actors who dance and sing to play supporting and featured roles in the ensemble. (Pepe, Indio, Luis, Rosalia, Consuela, Fransisca)